Wednesday, September 28, 2005

North to Alaska, Part 2

Day 8 Friday, September 16th:
West Yellowstone, MT to Lethbridge, AB:
Montana day! By far the prettiest state we have been in, so far. We crossed over the Missouri River several times; saw golden grass topped hills with grazing cattle, and majestic rock formations. Oh, the colors! We began to see aspen trees. I love aspens. They are like the cottonwoods of the north. The wind through a cottonwood’s or aspen’s leaves is the best wind chime ever made.
We made a stop in Helena for gear. First, we ate lunch at a deli. The waitress (kind of a ditzy girl) suggested we go to Bob Erwin’s for gear…after getting turned around (what some would call "getting lost"), we finally found it. We spilled into the store looking for silkies, a parka, Carhartt’s, etc. What we found was over priced under armour and teeny bopper help. Ugh! Luckily, across the street was a Murdoch’s: amazing store! Great prices, great service…we had a woman that acted as our personal shopper. She lined Jeff up with every Carhartt item available in their "fall collection", as well as gloves, and some amazing boots for the both of us. We purchased these water proof pac boots rated up to -50 degrees F for only $49. They go up to my upper calf and with felt insoles added to the existing thermolite liner: they are warm. A little too warm for now, but I know I will appreciate them in the coming months. I feel like a true mountain woman now! I also purchased a Columbia parka (on sale) with three detachable layers.
We rolled into Lethbridge about 8:00 pm to the Howard Johnson: "yes, I do deserve the lowest rate!" Or at least that is what I am supposed to think when I look into one of their mirrors. Pretty good night sleep until the dogs alerted us to would be snoopers/thieves about 4:00 in the morning. We awoke to Link barking like mad and a group of Canadian teenagers cussing up a storm. Jeff rushed out of the room with nothing but shorts on to scare them a second time. I am assuming they were coming home from the bar…when Jeff came out, they were very apologetic to say the least.

Day 9 Saturday, September 17th:
What a great beginning to the day…Dad singing 'Texas, Our Texas' via cell phone. Yes, dad the second verse is the best. We made a pretty long haul to Whitecourt, AB today.
You can’t judge a book by its cover at the Green Gable Inn. Everything along the highway is dusty and "Ponca Motel" looking, but inside reside clean rooms, friendly staff, and usually great restaurants. We had the best meal, yet at our inn. The waitress treated us like celebrities. The restaurant was owned by a Greek. The menu was diverse to say the least. Amy ordered lasagna, I the Chicken Slovakia with a Greek salad, and Jeff the chopped steak with mushroom gravy. Yummy! We had a great night’s sleep, and got on the road early.

Day 10 Sunday, September 18th:
Unfortunately, with only three places of worship to choose from: one Mormon, one Catholic and one Anglican, we attended the "Rusty" church of Christ (aka our truck). We stopped at a pseudo-Walmart parking lot in Grand Prairie while the oil was being changed for some scripture reading, the Lord’s Supper and prayer. Our message was brought to us by Jay Don Poindexter and Rance: thanks guys! Great thoughts!
We drove to Dawson Creek and the beginning of the Alcan. Our true adventure has begun. Who needs Six Flags?!! Just take a drive on the great Alcan! The most astounding views, yet. The beautiful yellow aspen leaves against the green spruce along the roadside, sure puts a smile on this Texan’s face. Around 7:30 pm, we arrived in Ft. Nelson. Checked into a friendly Ramada Inn and ate a hamburger at A&W.

Day 11 Monday, September 19th:
Wow! Wow! Wow! Yes, that is three wows. The day is off to a great start. We started with the best continental breakfast on the continent; made by a rather large and super friendly Canadian. Imagine a portly fellow, with a smile as broad as his nose, clad in plaid and topped with long black hair and leather boonie. Fast with the jokes and jovial jabs, he made great coffee, biscuits with grilled ham and fried eggs, and doled out the hotel missus’ muffins (apricot and peach)…delicious! He even made Belgium waffles upon request, though no one quite had the gumption to ask for one. The hotel residents were all huddled into a small 10 x 15 foot room. A family from North Dakota, a divorcee driving south to North Carolina from Anchorage, a few cool cats from Abilene, and three hunting guides returning to Prince George from a week long elk hunt in the bush. We shared our breakfast and our stories from the road we were all on: the path to the future.
Today we saw the most wildlife, yet. While listening to the tunes of Dizzy Gillispie, Louis Armstrong, Willie Nelson, Wilco, and others, we traveled around majestic mountains, traversed the road teetering trail to look into vast valleys. We drove over emerald green rivers and around Caribbean blue lakes, all the while stumped for words to describe.
When the sign says, "Watch for Wildlife On the Road," they literally mean ON the road. It amazed me to see caribou, moose, mulies, mountain goats, and bison (Amy and Jeff saw these while I was asleep) all copping a squat on the yellow line. I personally think it is a racket. The villages’ chamber of commerce have a deal with the animals so the tourist will come on this crazy road. I can see them brokering the agreement now…"Okay, Mr. Moose, have your people at mile marker 472, center line from 1-5 today, and you will get extra feed this winter." Whether it is all a set up or not, I am sure that I haven’t had such a great experience in my 28 years. Thank you, God for great adventures and great people to go on them with.
One last thing, the divorcee from Anchorage gave us a packet of Moose sausage…good stuff! It is great when people share.

Day 12 Tuesday, September 20th:
We arrived late the previous night in Whitehorse, Yukon. We checked into the Airport Chalet, next door to a man and his family (four kids). They had moved from southern California and were on their way to Alaska. We went and ate the worst Chinese food ever known to man (luckily, the Won Ton soup was good), and settled in for the night.
Today, we got up and on the way to breakfast I threw up. Come to think of it…I have been feeling like crud the whole time! I have a bad cold and figure the drainage got the best of me. I eat my toast and tea and still feel quite nauseated. Just moving stress…has my immune system down. On the way out of town, I ask Jeff to stop at the Wal-Mart. There is no way that I am, you know "with child," but what they hey…it never hurts to check.
I don’t tell Jeff or Amy what I am doing..I just demand to be taken to Wal-Mart! Jeff asks, "Whatever it is, I will go in for you." "No!" I snap, "You can’t do this for me."
I tentatively approach the pharmacy section. Find what I need and proceed to the ‘washroom’, as they call it in Canada/The Yukon. I take the test and low and behold: two lines! No, I had to have done something wrong….this can’t be?! With shaking hands, I proceed to the parking lot. I jump in the truck, grab the nearest water bottle and turn it up. Jeff yells, "What?!" "I have to pee again," I say between gulps. I reluctantly tell them both the news. Jeff grins ear to ear. I am still not buying it…we can’t be pregnant. After the month we have had: no way! All day Jeff and Amy are thinking up baby names, how to tell certain people, etc. I am still not convinced. Besides, this was NOT how it was supposed to happen. In my vision, I was at home, having taken the test early one morning and emotionally gotten myself together, awoken Jeff to a nice breakfast and spelled out "DAD" on his pancake with chocolate chips…or something like that. Not in a Wal-mart parking lot in the Yukon! But, alas it is life’s little surprises that make it all interesting.
When we rolled into Tok, Alaska that night I purchased another test and sure enough: two lines…we are having a baby, folks!

Day 13 Wednesday, September 21st:
This was the worse day of travel for me, yet. After several stops on the side of the road, we made it into Anchorage late afternoon, early evening. I am starting to not keep much down. We are almost there. We can make it. I think we are all at the end of our rope.

Day 14 Thursday, September 22nd:
Just when you think you are at the end: the rope gets longer! Jeff took the truck into the shop and 8 hours later we find out the brakes on the front driver’s side were about to go out and we have a flat in the spare for the trailer.
With everything fixed we proceed to Lowe’s for paint and other materials. Finally, we pull out of town about 8:00 pm. And then, bam: we have a flat on the trailer. We made it over 4,500 miles without one flat and now bad luck strikes. Jeff, the master tire patcher, pulls out his plugs, a can of fix a flat and we are rolling.
We make it ¼ around the Turn Again Arm (imagine, mountain_road____sheer cliff___ and then water). The wind is whipping us around like a rag doll, and the rain is coming down in sheets. We aren’t making it over 45 miles and Jeff is worried about the tire, when I remember our friends in Girdwood!
I was blessed to meet a lovely lady, Mandy Hawes (the cousin of Erin Baldwin) this summer at Erin and Heath’s wedding. We graduated the same year from ACU. Mandy and her husband work at the Aleyeska Prince Hotel in Girdwood. She works in accounting and he as the night manager. I call her to see if she knows of a good place to pull off to change the tire that is out of the rain. She is so very helpful and encouraging. This is a time I am thankful for connections that can only come through Christ. She also offers to put us up at the hotel. As we pull into the gas station, weary and having gone such a short distance, we accept her offer.
We drive into Girdwood and to the hotel…wow! This is not just any hotel. Think Aspen lodge in Alaska. This is one of the premier skiing resorts in the state. It is gorgeous…4 stars at the very least! We gladly hop into our down filled beds and don our complimentary robes and slippers. Whew…this is the life after KOA camping and Ramada Inns. Jeff goes out to check the dogs and comes back in ashen face. He holds out a two inch gnarly looking piece of shiny metal. He says that it was in the front driver side tire. God is so good!! If we had kept going, we would have been in for a horrible night.

Day 15 Friday, September 23rd:
After Jeff made some snappy repairs, we pull ourselves reluctantly away from this "Isle of Lotus Eaters," and get on down the road. We pull into Anchor Point and our new home later that afternoon. I know the "journey should always be the destination", but this is one time that I am sooooo very glad to be "THERE".
Thank you, God for a safe journey, fun and stressful times with Amy and Jeff, and relationships.


Patrick said...

What an amazing adventure. It almosts deserves to be in a short book, instead of a blog. Congrats! God is so good an faithful! Good luck with settling in to a new everything.

mrs. mayo said...

Congratulations Dana!! That is so awesome! I hope you start to feel better really soon.

Many answered prayers on a safe arrival - and how awesome that you have it all recorded on paper! I can't wait to see more pictures!

Sara said...

That is INCREDIBLE news. I know you and Jeff must be so excited. Praise God that you arrived safely. Keep your thoughts coming....we want to hear more about this journey!


lucyalexander99267909 said...

I really enjoyed your blog. This is a cool Website Check it out now by Clicking Here . I know that you will find this WebSite Very Interesting Every one wants a Free LapTop Computer!

mrs. mayo said...

Update!! We need an update! Get your computer up and running and lets go!

mandymclemore said...

I breezed over this but want to read it at more length later. I'm so with you on the "being happy to arrive.", haha! It's nice to read about another person's trip and know I'm not the only one who has done it.